Mustang Project Update – Some new Pics and Parts

Posted on the May 3rd, 2009 under mustang by John

So, everything is running. I’ve been babying it around trying to break in the clutch.   Everything seemed OK until I went out to belmore last Friday.  I literally pulled in the lot, parked, then the car died.  It would turn over, but would not start!  So after freaking out for a little, my buddy came over and we ran to 7-11 to get a flash light.   Checked everything, and we noticed there was some arching going on near the coil.  After it cooled down, the car started up.

I changed the coil to a MSD Blaster 3 (hoping that was the issue).  I also changed the plugs, cap and rotor.  I went out the other night in the car for a ride, and when I got back home it died again.  This time I was out in the street right in front of my house. Again it wouldn’t fire up.  I let it sit for 20 min, then bamm it fired right up.

After searching the net, it seems that this could be a TFI issue (Ignition Module).  The issue seems to be heat related, because when the car is cold it’s fine.  So I ran out to SK-Speed and picked up a new Accel TFI module, a set of wires, and a ground strap.   I installed the new TFI and wires tonight, hopefully tomorrow I’ll do the new ground strap. I need to figure out where to put it.   So hopefully the issue is the TFI, once this rain stops I’ll be able to test it out.  If it runs well, it might be time for a dyno tune!

Here are some pics from last weekend.

IMG_9182

IMG_9186

IMG_9183

Oh, and I also re-organized my shed.   Built a work bench, tool/rake holder and a short bench (to keep stuff off the floor).  Came out pretty good, shed is nice and clean/organized now.

IMG_9202

Similar Posts:

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply




XHTML::
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>